04 March 2019

UK Drivers - How to prepare for a no-deal Brexit.

If you are planning to drive your vehicle in the European Union post Brexit, you may need a Green Card and should contact your Insurance Broker at CGI Insurance on 01543 267810.
What is the Green Card system?

The Green Card system provides visiting motorists who are travelling abroad with the minimum compulsory insurance cover required by the law of the country they are visiting.

The system is used by 47 countries, including all 28 countries of the EU, the additional countries that make up the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, Russia, and several countries in the Middle East that border the Mediterranean Sea.

EU countries plus Serbia, Switzerland and Andorra operate a ‘free circulation zone’. Motorists from countries in this zone can travel throughout the zone using their domestic motor insurer, without needing a Green Card. The UK and EU reached an agreement to waive the use of Green Cards in May 2018. However, this agreement has yet to be ratified by the European Commission.
Who will need a Green Card?

Any business or personal motorist driving their vehicle and/or trailer in the EU will need to take a Green Card with them when they travel. This includes motorists who cross the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. You will also need a Green card for a commercial trailer over 750kg or any other trailer over 3,500kg. These trailers also need to be registered for travel to some countries (see below).
You can also get more information here:

What if I use my vehicle in the EU without a Green Card?

If you use your vehicle in the EU without a Green Card, you may find that you:

  • Receive a fine
  • Have your vehicle seized
  • Are prosecuted
  • Have to buy local insurance to continue your travel
  • Are turned away at the border 

How much will a Green Card cost?

Motor insurers have not yet given details of the cost of a Green Card. We expect the cost will be a nominal charge to cover motor insurers’ administration costs.
Contact CGI Insurance on 01543 267810 at least one month before your trip

We recommend that you contact us at least one month before your trip. We will ask your motor insurer to provide you with a Green Card. Motor insurers are currently taking steps to ensure they are ready to issue Green Cards promptly.
Haulage, Logistics & Distribution & Passenger Transport Operators

Community licences and European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) permits
Currently, UK lorry drivers carrying out international journeys must have a standard international operator’s licence along with a community licence for journeys to, from or  through the EU and EEA. Vehicles under 3.5 tonnes (including vans) and drivers operating on own account (carrying their own goods) do not need an international operator’s licence or Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC).

If there is a no-deal Brexit

If there is a no-deal Brexit, both the UK and the EU Commission have ‘committed in principle’ to uphold the current arrangements for obtaining an ECMT permit to  carry goods abroad. They have confirmed that ECMT permits will not be required up until 31 December 2019. We recommend that you keep up to date with developments during 2019 that may affect the requirement for permits in 2020 and beyond. At present, there are only a limited number of permits issued per year. If the requirements change, the Department for Transport will re-assess the number of permits available.
Using trailers in countries that have ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic

From 28 March 2019, you must register commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg before they can travel through countries that have ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

You can get more information at www.gov.uk/guidance
International driving permits for UK drivers current situation

Currently, UK licence holders who live in the UK:
The UK issues 3 types of IDP to UK licence holders who are resident in the UK: the 1926 IDP, the 1949 IDP and the 1968 IDP.
The type of IDP you need depends on the country you are driving in.
Driving abroad in countries outside the EA and EEA from 28 March 2019

From 29 March 2019, some countries will stop recognising 1926 and 1949 IDPs issued by the UK. Instead you may need a 1968 IDP to drive in these countries.
If there is a no-deal Brexit

If there is a no-deal Brexit, you may need an IDP in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in EU and EEA countries from 28 March 2019. The exception is the Republic of Ireland. If you hold a UK driving licence you should not need an IDP to drive in the Republic of Ireland as it does not currently require IDPs to be held by driving licence holders from non-EU countries.
You can get more information at www.gov.uk/guidance
Driver CPCs from 28 March 2019

There is a separate Driver CPC qualification for drivers of lorries and passenger carrying vehicles of above eight seats for commercial use in the EU and EEA. 
If there is a no-deal Brexit

If there is a no-deal Brexit, the current qualifications may not be recognised by some EU and EEA countries from 28 March 2019.
You can get more information at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-afterbrexit/requirements-for-uk-commercial-drivers-driving-abroadfrom-29-march-2019.
Snapshot of current guidance

Sign up for the Department for Transport (DfT) news alerts
These will keep you up to date with the latest guidance and requirements.
You can also get more information on how to obtain permits at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ecmt-international-roadhaulage-permits.
CGI are Here to Help

If you have any queries about anything in this news article, please contact your CGI Insurance Broker on 01543 267810 for more advice